Piero Fornasetti and Annie Sloan


What do Piero Fornasetti and Annie Sloan have in common, you ask? Actually many things.  Besides being talented artists in several mediums, they turned their art into a successful business based on their unique visions, ideas, and products.  Both focused their talents in the interior design, decorative painting and furniture industries.  They both also serve as the inspiration and process for today's post.

Using an image of classical architecture, I traced a simplified outline onto the previously painted chest of drawers from this post. Using the image as reference, Napoleonic Blue Chalk Paint® and a small artists brush, I was able to paint what you see below. I have tried variations on a Fornasetti inspired theme many times before, all disasters. This time I kept it very simple in a primitive style and I think that made a huge difference. The only tricky part was the frame between the drawers. At first I left them empty, but then went back and added a bit to continue the lines. I had removed the knobs, so they weren't really a problem. And the result?  Good enough that I didn't feel compelled to paint it solid blue.

Inspired by Fornasetti, painted with Annie Sloan.




17 comments:

  1. Wow! I didn't think it needed anything but now I see the cake had no icing. I can't wait to look up Fornasetti. I never heard of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I thought of when I saw this was wallpaper I bookmarked on Houzz. I went back to look at it and now that I read the description it refers to Fornasetti. Interesting. Looks better on your dresser than in the room I first saw it in.

    http://www.houzz.com/photos/2694808/The-Favorite-contemporary-living-room-new-york
    http://www.houzz.com/photos/4149607/RIFLESSO-by-Cole-and-Son-modern-wallpaper-new-york

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. Cole and Son offers several of Fornasetti's designs as wallpaper. Not all are as busy as Riflesso. But it is the furniture he designed that I love the most. Particularly the cabinets. I have many of those on my Pinterest board Fornasetti http://www.pinterest.com/lesliestocker/fornasetti/

      Delete
  3. This is amazing. I've been a fan of Fornasetti for a long time. I love the way you painted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rita. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to do something "Fornasetti-like". He was amazing!

      Delete
  4. Leslie--this is amazing! I love it (I knew I would anyway as I love blue)! I have to confess that I didn't know who Fornasetti was either--but after looking him up I can tell that I know of his work but didn't know his name. The dresser is brilliant. I love the contrast of the drawers with the frame. You did an amazing job on the artwork. It is so neat! I hope this gives you confidence to try something else like this. Are you going to keep this or sell it? Thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DeLynn, Thank you. He is architectural furniture designs are my favorite. Like this one on my Pinterest board, Fornasetti
      http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/03/6f/f7036fa1b466979988f4da136c71556e.jpg
      Actually that chest of drawers is my son's from when he was in middle school. I was looking for something to paint that was large enough but with simple lines and he suggested I use it. I'm just glad it turned out. :) Leslie

      Delete
  5. Wow. Traditional lines, yet such a fresh, modern perspective. Congratulations, Leslie. It is a triumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JD, I'm usually more comfortable painting simple stripes, geometric shapes. This was really out of my comfort zone but something I have wanted to do for a long time. I so appreciate your lovely comment. Leslie

      Delete
  6. Perfect..... And I love the little center key holes? With the lightest blue....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coastal Gray, I loved that little design detail. So old fashioned to be able to lock each drawer. I don't think we every had a key. I wanted to subtly feature it apart from the image. You have a great eye. Thanks for noticing! Leslie

      Delete
  7. Excellent website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get responses from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.Thanks a lot!
    Paints Nepal

    ReplyDelete